Why A Police Academy For Citizens?
The intended result of the academy is to give our residents a better understanding of what we do and how we do it. We hope to also build an ongoing working relationship, with those attendees, that extends through the coming years in our mutual fight against crime and disorder.
We believe that the more educated the public is about how the police department operates, the more trustworthy and less feared we become. The classes offered will cover our basic operations and will be instructed mostly by members of the Saginaw Township Police Department. All classes are designed by members of the police department and are intended to give overviews of the area taught.
Thirteen classes will be held and most will last about three hours. Classes are generally held every Wednesday from 6:30pm to approximately 9:30pm. Some classes may run longer. Many of the classes will contain "hands-on" work for the attendees. Class members will also have the opportunity to ride with a police officer during a tour of duty. There is no charge to attend the academy which is open to Saginaw Township residents ONLY. To date, approximately 272 citizens have graduated from the Saginaw Township Citizens Police Academy.
Most classes will be on Wednesday evening. Fill out and turn in applications now to assure yourself a spot for the next academy.
- Class 1: Introduction and Orientation/Department Orientation/Patrol Overview
- Class 2: Prosecuting and the Courts/Emergency Services Team
- Class 3: Emergency Medical Technician Program/Automatic Defibrillators/Flight Care (if available)
- Class 4: History of Policing / Gangs and Terrorism
- Class 5: Use of Force
- Class 6: Firearms Simulator
- Class 7: Criminal Investigations / Traffic Stops & Techniques
- Class 8: Scene & Evidence Processing / Fair & Impartial Policing
- Class 9: Tour of Saginaw County Jail / Tour of Saginaw County Central Dispatch
- Class 10: Crash Investigations / Frauds, Scams, Identity Theft / Explorers
- Class 11: District Resource Officer/Crime Prevention Unit
- Class 12: School Resource Officer / Narcotics
- Class 13: Administration/Graduation
- To Be Scheduled: Minimum 4 hour ride-a-long
All applicants for the Citizens Police Academy must:
- Be 21 years of age.
- Undergo a criminal background check.
- Be a Saginaw Township resident.
- Be able to attend all classes.
How Do I Apply?
Applications are available here online or at:
Saginaw Township Police Department
Saginaw, Mi., 48603
For more information, please call the Saginaw Township Police Department at 793-2310.
All Academy courses are offered free of charge but are limited in size. So, get your application in soon. When the next academy class is full, applications will be held for future classes.
Past CPA Classes