Filing a Video/Cable Complaint

The Michigan Public Service Commission's role in handling video/cable television complaints.

On December 21, 2006, Governor Granholm signed legislation to promote competition for video services in the state of Michigan.  Public Act 480 of 2006, or as it is more commonly known the “Uniform Video Services Local Franchise Act,” charges the Michigan Public Services Commission (MPSC) with implementing the Act.  The MPSC now has the responsibility to handle cable inquiries and complaints.

*Consumers should first contact their video/cable provider to discuss their complaint. If a resolution cannot be reached, contact the MPSC for help in dealing with the video/cable provider.*

Consumer Alert - Filing a Video/Cable Television Complaint


Call the Commission to File an Informal Complaint

MPSC staff are available to assist with your inquiry or informal complaint Monday through Friday, excluding State holidays, by calling 1-800-292-9555 or 517-241-6911. We encourage you to first contact your video/cable provider with your question before calling us. At times, call volumes may be high and staff are busy assisting other customers. In this situation, you will be put into a voicemail. If you are connected to the Video Franchise voicemail, please leave a detailed message including your full name, call back number, billing address, and the nature of your complaint. Staff will respond to your complaint as soon as possible. You can also contact us by submitting your inquiry or complaint in writing to us at the following address:

Michigan Public Service Commission
Attn: Video Franchising
P.O. Box 30221
Lansing, Michigan 48909

Submit your complaint via fax: (517) 284-8200.
Submit your complaint online:  Video/Cable Complaint Online Form

File a Formal Complaint

If you are not satisfied with the results of an informal complaint investigation by Commission staff, you may pursue a formal complaint with the Commission. Because the Commission's authority is limited to that provided by statute, a formal complaint can only involve issues that the Commission is responsible for.

Formal Video/Cable Complaint Form

or more information visit the webiste for the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs